Glass Noodles with Clams over a Fire
RECIPE—Denise bar à vin Photo—Renaud Lafrenière
Khoa Lê is unstoppable. He’s a filmmaker, a visual artist, a celebrated restauranteur, and a co-founder of the sex toy company Afterglo. We invited him to participate in a creative residency at BESIDE Habitat to relax, make some meals, and enjoy the forest. Here, he shares one of the recipes in the woods.
- Soak the noodles in cold water for 15 to 20 minutes. Soak the dried mushrooms in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes, then julienne.
- Preheat a 10-inch [25 cm] pan, add 60 ml [4 Tbsps] neutral oil (e.g., grapeseed or canola oil). Sauté shallots, ginger, garlic scapes, and carrots until soft and shallots are translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add clams and cover for 2 to 3 minutes until clams start opening.
- Add napa cabbage and wood ear mushrooms and cook until cabbage wilts and the mushrooms soften, 1 to 2 min.
- Drain the noodles, then add them to the pan with the clam juice and Shaoxing wine.
- Lastly, add the fish sauce and rock sugar. Season with white pepper and salt to taste. Remove from heat and serve with green onions.
Our Editor-in-Chief, Catherine Métayer, interviewed Khoa Lê for the latest issue of BESIDE. Don’t miss their thoughtful, wide-ranging conversation about intimacy, family, and cooking as a creative act.